In addition, updates were made to the Side Panel feature, allowing the user to easily e-mail and IM contacts with just one click, as well as view upcoming events and to-do items. AOL said it planned to add more functionality as the beta progresses. The new version is available for testing from the AOL Beta site.
What can you expect to find with this Web Mail beta?
- A new look and feel that provides you with more room to read and view messages.
- One-click to your new messages: The Today page has transformed into the Today "curtain," which you can quickly show or hide. You can choose to view the latest headlines or go immediately to a new message.
- In-line read and compose: No more popping out each and every message in a new window - unless you want to, of course! You can individually pop-out a message or change your preference in Settings to pop-out messages every time.
- Scrolling list view: No more paging through all of your messages! With Cayman, all of your messages will appear in one scrolling list.
- New and improved panels: We have included a People Panel with hover controls and short-cuts to email, IM, or edit the contact; a To Do's Panel; and a panel with TMZ.com feeds. Look for more panels in the near future!
- Add/Edit folders more quickly: You can now add a new folder from within the folder list view and edit/delete folders more easily.
- Improved contacts: With Cayman, we have included buddy icons and AIM-like hover controls when you roll-over a contact name. You can initiate an IM or email in just one click!