The KDE Project today announced the immediate availability of KDE 3.5.5, a maintenance release for the latest generation of the most advanced and powerful free desktop for GNU/Linux and other UNIXes. KDE now supports 65 languages, making it available to more people than most non-free software and can be easily extended to support others by communities who wish to contribute to the open source project. Significant enhancements include:
- Version 0.12.3 of Kopete replaces 0.11.3 in KDE 3.5.5, it includes support for Adium themes, performance improvements and better support for the Yahoo! and Jabber protocols.
- Support for sudo in kdesu.
- Support for input shape from XShape1.1 in KWin (KDE window manager).
- Lots of speed improvements and fixes in Konqueror's HTML engine, KHTML.
- CUPS 1.2 support in KDEPrint.
- Big improvements in the number of translated interface elements in Chinese Traditional, Farsi, Khmer, Low Saxon and Slovak translations.